According to the American Civil Liberties Union, the number of people who have been arrested for the use of marijuana is more than the number of people arrested for violent crimes. Despite marijuana being a source of several medical and psychoactive benefits, it is still illegal to use marijuana for recreational benefits. Let’s check out the advantages of legalizing the use of marijuana on the economy of nations all over the world.
ECONOMIC BENEFITS OF LEGALIZING MARIJUANA
In states like Colorado, Washington, and California where the use of marijuana for recreational benefits is legal, there is a huge boost in the economies of these states. The driving force for the economy comes from the industries that are related to the use of marijuana such as agriculture, transportation, marketing, and packaging industries. The legalization of marijuana is not only beneficial for businesses, but also for the country as a whole. Here are some of the major economic benefits of legalizing marijuana worldwide.
1. REVENUE GENERATION
As stated by the Tax Foundation of the United States, if the countries all around the globe legalize marijuana, it will generate a revenue sum of around $28 billion. With a stunning increase in the sales of marijuana that comes with its legalization for recreational use, tax revenues are the most obvious advantage for the economies of the countries.
2. CREATION OF JOB OPPORTUNITIES
When a country legalizes the use of marijuana, a whole new agricultural business will be set up. So a full production cycle starting from growth and ending up at sales is needed to finally bring consumable cannabis to the buyers. The chain of production cycles containing different stages will require labor and specialists. This will create enormous job opportunities for skilled as well as unskilled individuals, automatically giving a push to the economy of any country.
3. LOWER IMPRISONMENT
As more people are arrested for dealing and consuming marijuana when compared to getting arrested for other crimes, there will be a drastic drop in the number of imprisonments. The cost of imprisonment in the United States is comparable to an annual salary, which is certainly not cheap. When the costs are multiplied by the number of people in jail for use of marijuana and further multiplied by the number of years of their sentence, the expenditure is humongous. Therefore, the money which is spent on the people arrested for using cannabis will be saved and the socio-economic gaps can be fulfilled. Furthermore, the black market risks will be highly minimized, fueling the country’s economy.
4. NO OVERWORK AT THE GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS
With the legalization of marijuana, there won’t be such a great need for rehabilitation centers unless people consume cannabis on a large scale. There will be much fewer prosecutions, law enforcement work in courts, and work in prisons if countries legalize marijuana. Therefore, the government officials won’t be overworked while solving the numbers of cases filed against the recreational use of marijuana.
5. BOOST TO THE AGRICULTURE
If countries worldwide legalize the use of marijuana, agricultural businesses will be motivated to grow cannabis in the fields. Since the consumers for marijuana already exist in dense populations everywhere, there won’t be fear of losses. The businesses shall be driven to grow, harvest, and produce marijuana for recreational use which is far more advantageous than growing it for medical use alone. More production means more kinds of industries involved like transportation and packaging.
MEDICINAL BENEFITS OF MARIJUANA
Cannabis contains components such as CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) which are known for their useful impacts on the brain and pain relief. Here’s a list of other medical benefits of cannabis.
- Cannabis contains cannabinoids that are extremely effective in relieving chronic pain. These components of cannabis have a certain chemical structure that links to its pain-relief properties.
- Cannabis regulates the insulin levels of the body while simultaneously managing the calories taken by the body. Therefore, it aids in weight loss.
- The American Alliance for Medical Cannabis stated that consuming cannabis regulates insulin levels, stabilizes blood sugar, and lowers blood pressure. It also improves the circulation of blood inside the body.
- There is evidence that proves the effectiveness of cannabis in fighting against some types of tumors.
- Cannabis has a promising effect in treating the frequent mood swings in the case of autistic patients.
- The cannabidiol component of cannabis can help in controlling seizures.
- According to the Bone Research Laboratory in Tel Aviv, the use of cannabis can accelerate the healing process of broken bones. In addition, it strengthens the bones making them tough to be broken again in the future.
- Taking cannabis in controlled and monitored amounts can alleviate anxiety and calm people.
- Consuming cannabis helps to relieve pain that arises due to the pressure on the eyeballs in the case of glaucomatous patients.
- The treatment of Hepatitis C involves several side effects like muscle pain, nausea, fatigue, and depression. Consuming cannabis is known to be effective in minimizing the side effects while maximizing the effect of the treatment.
MARIJUANA VS CIGARETTES
Some countries have been rebelling against the use of marijuana considering that it has severely dangerous effects on human health. Some government officials believe that smoking pot is more injurious as compared to tobacco cigarettes. But this is actually the other way around. According to the federal assessment studies and researches, the risks on the health of lungs by smoking cannabis are much smaller than that of smoking tobacco. There are absolutely no health benefits of cigarette smoking.
On the other hand, smoking cannabis is known to have significant use in the medical field. Some of the common health benefits of smoking cannabis are relief in chronic pain, treatment of cancer and inflammatory bowel diseases, relief in case of multiple sclerosis and so on. According to a study, smoking cannabis is known to increase the capacity of your lungs. In short, smoking marijuana is much less harmful and sometimes, even beneficial, as compared to smoking tobacco.
MARIJUANA VS ALCOHOL
Marijuana has been known to have fewer critical health risks than alcohol. Getting intoxicated with weed may feel slightly different than consuming alcohol. However, their effects on the psychoactive behavior of a person are almost the same and equivalent. While consumption of alcohol in uncontrolled amounts can lead to organ damage, the long-term health risks of marijuana are mainly related to the brain.
An exact conclusion, however, cannot be drawn as there is limited research done on this debate between marijuana and alcohol. Since there are numerous variations of cannabis and alcohol available in the market, it is not very evident which of them is better or worse. In addition to this, the reactions of cannabis and alcohol differ from person to person.